The human spirit is not dead. It lives on in secret. I have come to believe that compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to mankind. ― Albert Schweitzer’s Nobel Peace Prize address, “The Problem of Peace in the World Today”
Corruption, deceit, sadness, death, torture, and hatred seem to permeate the news on television, our Facebook news feed, Twitter and every other source of information that we are exposed to these days. But what about the positive stories? Where are they? We know they are happening. They happen every day. There are people that choose to live from their heart and who help others, even when it’s not convenient. We need to see more of these stories and less of the disheartening, depressing news. It’s important for us to see positive events happening across the globe. It’s important to know that they may be happening in our own backyards.
Recently I came across a video while searching for something else and it really moved me. It reminded me that Good Things are happening in towns and cities all around the world. There are people that care, and there are people that help the innocent when it’s not convenient.
Take a few minutes to watch these two short videos. They are a compilation of people from all over the world helping animals when they need it most. Grab a tissue. You’ll need it.
“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.” ― Albert Einstein
“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” ― Aesop
You can see 7 more videos of everyday people rescuing animals here.
One of my teachers, Deborah King, was recently a guest on Darkness Radio. This was a very lively discussion! I recommended that you check it out. She discusses how we are entangled in darkness every day, and how the media can perpetuate so much fear. But if we are conscious of what we take in, and do just a few of her suggestions, we will remember that we can retreat into Light, we can heal ourselves.
Listen to the Deborah King Darkness Radio Interview. (FYI: The interview begins around the 8 minute mark.)
Compassion isn’t dead. Goodness, Love and Light are always there. You just have to look for them. If the mainstream media isn’t going to tell us about them, then it’s up to us to find them. What we absorb (via the media, etc.) is what we become and what we experience more of; this is the law of attraction. So why are we choosing to expose ourselves to the negativity? It is possible to be aware of what is happening in the world, but it doesn’t have to overwhelm us. Be conscious of what you are exposing yourself to and remember to look for the positive stories.
If you are tired of seeing drama and destruction in the news every day, here are a few news sources that will bring you a daily dose of happy news:
- Daily Good DailyGood leverages the internet to promote positive and uplifting news around the world to more than 100,000 subscribers through the daily and weekly newsletters. Readers receive a news story, an inspiring quote, and a suggested action that each person can take to make a difference in their own lives and the world around them.
- Ecorazzi “Good Gossip!”
- Gimundo Good news and positive stories are served up daily at Gimundo.
- G’News Daily “A positive look at the world around you!!! A complete focus on all things good including but not limited to art, history, achievement, music, heroes, local news, national/international news, innovation and anything else that might make you smile 🙂 “
- Good News Network (GNN) says its mission is to provide readers with a A daily dose of news to enthuse! “A passion to serve humanity in doses of positive news. This site is dedicated to the millions who are invested in carving out a more sustainable and loving world. Activists and social change agents need reminders of the progress being made in the world to keep from burning out and becoming embittered.”
- Great News “The Great News Network is meant to supplement your daily news sources – not replace it. Its role is to show that there is hope, people are making a difference, and that a lot of things are getting better. Optimism is a great catalyst for making the world a better place. When we can see there is hope, then we’ll be more compelled to make the effort to do our part. “
- Happy News A team of citizen journalists report on positive, but compelling, stories from around the world at Happy News. “We believe virtue, goodwill and heroism are hot news. That’s why we bring you up-to-the-minute news, geared to lift spirits and inspire lives.”
- Huffington Post Good News
- OdeWire “Intelligent news for optimists,” OdeWire searches the web for “the most authoritative news sources for stories that focus on solutions rather than problems, and on positive changes rather than negative ones.”
- Optimist World If you’re interested in news on corporate social responsibility, the Optimist World is a great place to look. They also include positive sports stories for the sports enthusiasts!
- Positive News This UK site claims it is the “world’s original and leading positive newspaper.” Positive News is published four times a year and has a circulation of approximately 50,000. It has an environmental focus.
- Positively Positive “At its core, Positively Positive is about optimism and inspiration. About seeing the possibility within each person—and within each day gifted us. It’s about wisdom and how we lift one another up to richer, more fulfilling lives. It’s about tapping into our true nature and capacity. Our goal is simple: to bring uplifting voices and messages to our community every day. “
- The Good News The Good News aims to share positive news stories that others rarely hear about.
- More POSITIVE NEWS, ALTERNATIVE NEWS and MEDIA LINKS
Be of good cheer! There are good things happening everywhere! Be part of the positivity and pass this along to share Good News with others!
“Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.”
― Dalai Lama XIV, The Art of Happiness